MindTouch’s list of The 400 Most Influential in #Techcomm and #ContentStrategy does a great job of invigorating our profession, but has a few problems as well.
[This blog post is victim to my regular blogging schedule: It was written before, but published after David Farbey’s more elaborate post where all the action is in the comments and Aaron from MindTouch replies to some of the issues with the list!]
Here’s my play-by-play recap of my various reactions to the list:
- Hope — “Did I make the top 50?”
- Marvel — “Wow, look at the people at the top, they’re my #techcomm heroes, my personal all-star list!”
- Reality check — I came in at no. 69.
- Contentment — “Yeah, that’s a fair ranking, given my adjacent fellow influencers…” 🙂
- Wonder I — “‘Influencer’? Is that even a word?”
- Wonder II — “How did they come up with this ranking?” The accompanying process post isn’t none too clear how the ranking came about. MindTouch told me: “Yes, the social analysis tool used currently primarily analyzes twitter, but blogs also are a factor.”
- Joy — “I can totally extend my network and add people I’m not following yet!”
- Doubt — “Many people on the list don’t tweet a lot or have practically stopped months ago. Is it really worth following them (okay, it doesn’t cost anything if they don’t tweet…)?”
- Scepticism I — “Maybe the process needs some refinement before it produces a meaningful long tail – or maybe 400 is a bit too long?”
- Scepticism II — “Huh, here’s someone tweeting in Spanish – but wait a minute, just about anyone else on the list (myself included) writes in English. Where are the other languages?”
On the whole, I think it’s a great service to the profession:
- It’s galvanizing the community – and I hope it doesn’t alienate anyone (well, except Scott Abel, maybe, who wasn’t on the list – because he deserves the special mention as 2011 Internet Influencer… 😉 )
- It’s boosted my twitter readership, active & passive, more than any other single event!
- … and nobody else does something like this.
So thanks, MindTouch!