If you like my work and want me to contribute to a conference, please let me know by leaving a comment below (which will not be published) or by tweeting @techwriterkai.
24-26 September 2013 – TCUK
- “Addicted to Meaning: Mental Models for Technical Communicators”
- “Bake your own taxonomy” (workshop with Chris Atherton)
ISTC’s Technical Communication UK, Bristol.
5-8 May 2013 – STC Summit
“Addicted to Meaning: Mental Models for Technical Communicators”
STC Summit, Atlanta, GA.
Tweets by attendees:
- “Really outstanding presentation from @techwriterkai #stc13. HIGHLY recommended.”
- “I think I now sort of understand semiotics! Thanks, @techwriterkai! #stc13″
- “#stc13 @techwriterkai This #techcomm geek is loving the trip into cognitive science principles…”
5 Nov 2012 – tekom Danmark
“Features and Benefits of Task Orientation and Topic-Based Authoring”
Foundation meeting of the tekom Danmark Country Group, Odense, Denmark.
23 Oct 2012 – tekom/tcworld
“Addicted to meaning: How good technical communication is like bad magic tricks“
(The sequel to “Pattern recognition for technical communicators“!)
tekom’s tcworld conference, Wiesbaden, Germany.
Feedback by 62 attendees on a scale from 1 (excellent) to 7 (very poor):
- 1.19: Overall impression of speaker
- 2.13: Contents of presentation
- 1.48: Quality of presentation
- 1.45: Overall evaluation
- “Such a huge field! Good to be exposed to this. Thank you!”
- “Interesting, informative. Well led by Kai Weber.”
- “We can’t really say ‘This is a best practice’ unless we can demonstrate its superiority. Hats off to Kai for handing us the ammo to say WHY we should work this way. Bring him back.”
- “Kai has an engaging speaking style and relates well to tech comm folks, and is interesting in his observations about what he doesn’t know. Good topic!”
- “Droll sense of humor. Difficult to get high concept talks to work and this one worked very well.”
- “Best presentation I attended in this conference. Entertaining and relevant. Thanks so much!”
- 1.26: Overall impression of speaker
- 1.97: Contents of presentation
- 1.67: Quality of presentation
- 1.38: Overall evaluation (vs. 2.26: avg. of all speakers)
- “Brilliant structure, wonderful style, inspirationally relevant, nice visuals. Best presentation this year.”
- “Kai Weber and Chris Atherton were really interesting speakers. The explanation of psychological concepts was clear and engaging, and the examples from the tech pubs world were relevant and well thought-out.”
- “Well presented, interesting, but most of all to the point and something I could take something away from and apply to my own work.”
- “Great input & tips from Kai Weber. Valuable & worthwhile presentation that actually applies to non-lone writers!”
- “A very interesting talk. Thank you for making me feel that I’m not alone with my lone author experience.”
- “Excellent and helpful – well presented.”
12-13 Apr 2013 – UXcampCPH, Copenhagen, Denmark.
23-25 Oct 2012 – tekom’s tcworld, Wiesbaden, Germany.
02-04 Oct 2012 – ISTC’s Technical Communication UK, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
20-23 May 2012 – STC Summit, Chicago, IL.
18-20 Oct 2011 – tekom’s tcworld, Wiesbaden, Germany.
20-22 Sep 2011 – ISTC’s Technical Communication UK, Oxford.
13-16 Mar 2011 – WritersUA, Long Beach, CA.
21-23 Sep 2010 – ISTC’s Technical Communication UK, Oxford.
17-20 Mar 2009 – DocTrain West (since defunct), Palm Springs, CA.